6.17.2008

Oliver


Sorry to have been so MIA these past couple of weeks... there has been so much going on in my life (both good and bad), that I honestly haven't even had the time to sit down and write a post. For all of you Colorado College folks reading this blog, you by now know that our friend Oliver is losing his battle to brain cancer. He is quietly living his final moments heavily sedated in a hospice in Maryland, surrounded by his family and loved ones. I created a little storybook of pulled photos and jotted down stories of Oliver for them and for his two year old son.... a boy who will never fully know and experience the wonderfulness that is his father.
This was my first introduction to Ol:
MY FIRST MEMORY OF OLIVER was being picked up by a guy using a spoon as a “prospective student detector” at the Colorado Springs airport. He looked like Beck. I thought he was a god. He made boop-boop-booping sounds as he worked his way down the main aisle, as if to convey that the spoon was either getting hot or cold in PS detection.
He saw me—a nervous looking 17-year-old with suitcase in hand, donning an all-too-new, freshly-pressed phish tshirt, and immediately threw the boop-booping into high gear. I thought he was the coolest person I had ever met.

Oliver, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.